HDHomeRun Quatro tuning to wrong transmitter

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Zogger

HDHomeRun Quatro tuning to wrong transmitter

Post by Zogger » Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm

I am using an HDHomeRun connect quatro on version 20190417.
My aerial is pointing to the crystal palace transmitter

most of the channels are working fine with around 100% signal quality, however all the main HD channels on the PSB3/BBCB multiplex have very intermittent signal quality of <60% and then cutting out entirely.

When I tune to one of these channels, I can see that the frequency is not the one listed on the above page (689.8MHz), instead it is the lower frequency shown on the reigate transmitter page (546MHz) which is a smaller transmitter with fewer channels in a slightly different direction.

When I go through all the other channels not on that multiplex they seem to have the correct frequencies. Presumably during the scan it's detecting a 'good enough' signal during scanning and then ignoring a better one later on?

Is there anything I can do software or hardware wise to stop it picking up these wrong channels and pick up the right ones instead? I'm using channels DVR which uses the HDHomeRun's channel list, so afaik I don't have the option of manually tuning in Channels DVR

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Quattro tuning to wrong transmitter

Post by jasonl » Wed May 15, 2019 1:21 pm

No, that page is just wrong. PSB3/BBCB from Crystal Palace has been on 546MHz (or 167kHz below that anyway) since 2012 and there are no plans for that to change.

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then watch live TV on a channel on that mux for at least 10 minutes, then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

Zogger

Re: HDHomeRun Quatro tuning to wrong transmitter

Post by Zogger » Wed May 15, 2019 1:31 pm

ah ok thanks - a strange coincidence then that it's those ones.

I have retuned with diagnostics on - device ID is 12519D42

The channel (BBC one HD / 101) won't stay on for 10 mins but have had it on for some of that time.

(Meanwhile bbc four hd works fine on a different mux)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm

The logs confirm the issue, and also show a sharp dropoff in signal strength on that channel compared to the others, which is odd since they are all transmitted at the same power level. What kind of aerial are you using?

Zogger

Post by Zogger » Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 am

It's in the loft - the one we inherited from the previous owners a few years ago so not sure on exact type - no colours other than black on it - From memory I would say it looks like this https://images.app.goo.gl/aRPWw5JqSai3QqUM8
except they mounted it across two pieces of string instead of on a metal pole (not ideal but I don't know if that would be able to affect it in this way)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Hanging from string is fine, as long as it's not metal, or if it is metal, as long as it's only touching the cradle or boom, not any of the elements.

Do you have access to the loft to check the exact antenna style and verify that there's no damage to it? There are 2 primary styles of aerial in use in the UK, the one you linked which is called a yagi, where all the elements in front are the same size, and another style called an LPDA or log-periodic, which has more of a wedge shape, with shorter elements at the front and longer ones at the rear (see https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ntenna.jpg). The signal pattern you're seeing is something that could happen if using an LPDA where some of the middle elements were damaged. A lot of consumer-grade models use cheap thin metal not much sturdier than a metal coat hanger, and it's very easy to damage the elements just by brushing up against them.