Seeing New Orleans Channels in Guide

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
NTC
Device ID: 10751B42

Seeing New Orleans Channels in Guide

Postby NTC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:36 pm

Seeing virtual channel 4 (UHF physical 36) and its sub-channels on my guide. It is WWL-DT from New Orleans, LA.

I should not be seeing these channels, and config GUI shows no signal on channel 36. Channels appeared on the guide either today or late yesterday.

Regards,
Norm

bhassell
Device ID: 10707266

Re: Seeing New Orleans Channels in Guide

Postby bhassell » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:21 am

In Ham Radio terms...it is known as a Band Opening...or Tropospheric Ducting ("Skip" if you are a CB'er). When conditions are right, you can receive (And Transmit) greater distances using this bouncing or ducting of RF Signals. We regularly receive MS and AL signals here in New Orleans during these times and it is entirely expected the reverse to be true as well. The reason you have the channels is that they were present when your HDHomerun did its last SCAN of available signals, but the Band Opening closed after and all that was left was the indication that those channels WERE present at the scan.

It can be fun...or just a nuisance...Hope this helps. KA5ZCI

NTC

Postby NTC » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for the reply. I thought it may have been tropo skipping but ruled it out because I have only experience it in lower frequency bands (i.e. AM. low VHF and ATC bands) but never on a UHF that's 137 miles away. That and the fact that my antenna is directional pointing to 060º from my location, while the WWL transmitter is 253º.

I've had a HDHomeRun since 2009 but started the DVR service at the beginning of this year. Are you saying that the DVR service with periodically do a scan of channels on my HDHomeRun and refreshes the guide if new channels are found. I thought I had to manually initiate the scan to find new channels and add them to the list.

If it is done by the DVR service automatically, how long before it is removed. I am still seeing those channels in my guide.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 pm

The device itself will periodically do an autoscan. Any software that relies on the device for its channel list would be affected. In theory the autoscan will not remove a channel number picked up in a regular scan (though may change physical source) but some have reported that is not the case. In theory if you disable the channels they won't come back but it appears that such must be disabled shortly after a manual scan rather than those newly detected through an autoscan as many have reported that they disabled a channel and it came back later and I am "fishing" for reasons why such doesn't always take.

NTC

Postby NTC » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks for that bit of info, pretty sure I do not like that feature. I've been using other programs to do my recordings in the past, and none did an auto scan. I prefer control of the scans, if and when I want to. Is there a way to disable it?

Anyway, manually re-scanned the channels and now those New Orleans channels are gone. Thanks to all for the insight.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 am

Picking up UHF channels at that distance isn't uncommon when the weather conditions are right, especially ahead of a big front like the one that rolled through over the weekend. I've personally picked up a signal clean enough to decode perfectly for about 10 minutes from 123 miles away, and had a scan at a different location pick up one from 225 miles away ahead of the same front. I once saw logs from a customer near Madison, WI, that had a scan picking up channels from the Quad Cities (~120 miles) and Grand Rapids (~180 miles) in the same scan.

It is not possible to disable the background scan.

NTC

Postby NTC » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks jasonl, next time I won't be too surprise when I see a channel I don't recognize.

But as for the auto scan, you may want to add a disable button for that. I see from recent posts I am not alone in requesting that. So consider this as a future feature request. I've been using OTA capture cards since inception of ATSC broadcast and don't see the need for periodic auto scan (even with the FCC repack), unless its a business motivated feature associated with the DVR service.

bhassell
Device ID: 10707266

Postby bhassell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I also can certainly see the value in disabling Auto-Scan . This time of year band conditions present like this several times a week and truly almost daily. It would be far more sensible to have the channel scan under user control just like most modern TV's.

Blocking the channels is not a good substitute either.

I would like to second NTC's motion!!! Future Improvement Item. :D

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”