Signal strong enough?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
leopheard

Signal strong enough?

Postby leopheard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi all,

The weather in this part of NC is slightly overcast as storms due later, but I'm wondering if this signal strength is good for these conditions and does it seem to be too weak for the bad weather we'll probably get over the summer?

Virtual Channel 2.1 WFMY HD
Frequency 695.000 MHz
Program Number 1
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 42%
Signal Quality 66%
Symbol Quality 100%
Transcode Profile heavy
Streaming Rate 6.780 Mbps
Resource Lock Local IP

I've installed the antenna around 40 feet up as shown here, straight into the ground box (not a splitter) and then a coaxial straight into the HDHR Extend box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncjgkgf2jvaga ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Wbmanx

Re: Signal strong enough?

Postby Wbmanx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 am

I see you have the HD cordcutter. I one as a test antenna. I put a homemade reflector behind it to amplify the signal. You live in Greensboro. That is where I was born and lived until 18. If you are in position to block signals from one direction a reflector works wonderfully with that antenna.

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 am

Instead or in addition to the reflector get a channel master 7777hd. Awesome preamp.

leopheard

Postby leopheard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm running out of ideas with this thing. I installed the CM-7777 preamp by the antenna and separate powered splitter thing right before the HDHR box. This made the signal so bad it found absolutely no channels.

Had to take out the preamp/powered splitter, and just run the antenna directly from the ground box to the antenna. I raised it a good 6 feet from what you can see in this picture, but the signal is still awful - even on a clear, sunny day like today.

I'm out of ideas - raising it didn't work, and neither did the amplifier, what do I do next?

(one of the better channels)
Virtual Channel 5.1 WRAL_HD
Frequency 677.000 MHz
Program Number 3
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 47%
Signal Quality 68%
Symbol Quality 100%
Transcode Profile none
Streaming Rate 14.265 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.1.153

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Can you provide a link to the TVFool report for your address?

leopheard

Postby leopheard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Is it important to you to get the CBS station from Greensboro (WFMY 2.1) instead of the one from Raleigh (WNCN 17.1)? The Raleigh stations look to have a lot better coverage in your area than the Greensboro/High Point stations. You might be able to get a few from Greensboro/High Point, but it's going to take a much larger antenna to improve the reception because there are a couple hills in the way, and some like NBC/CW aren't available at all since they transmit from north of Winston-Salem and the signal doesn't reach you.

leopheard

Postby leopheard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Nah, any alternate station isn't necessary to really try and get unless they do some very different programming.

The issue is with stations like WTVD that are in the strongest category are often totally broken up. There's also a local channel transmitting literally about 4 miles away that I've never been able to get (WBFT).

Re: the booster, I've discovered I bought the too strong CM-7777 instead of the CM-7778. Have purchased that and will see how that goes

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:21 pm

The only real difference you might see from one CBS station to another is maybe getting different NFL games on Sundays. However, since both stations likely consider themselves to be in Panthers territory, both are likely to show the exact same games.

WTVD is always going to be a struggle with that antenna because it's a UHF antenna and WTVD is VHF. You need to look at something like an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V which has better VHF performance.

Regarding WBFT, there's a chance that the station isn't even on the air. It's not unheard of for low-power stations to "forget" to file silent notices with the FCC and just randomly be off-air for months or years at a time. Even if it is broadcasting, it's an incredibly weak station on a short tower in an area with a lot of hills, so the coverage area drops off pretty quick. If you're anywhere south of about highway 78, reception gets very tough. If/when they change channels for the repack, the new signal is supposed to end up about almost 9 times stronger than it is now, so that will be a huge help for those not in the central area of Sanford.

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:46 am

Nah, any alternate station isn't necessary to really try and get unless they do some very different programming.

The issue is with stations like WTVD that are in the strongest category are often totally broken up. There's also a local channel transmitting literally about 4 miles away that I've never been able to get (WBFT).

Re: the booster, I've discovered I bought the too strong CM-7777 instead of the CM-7778. Have purchased that and will see how that goes

Dude,

I have that antenna as I stated before. You need to add a homemade reflector behind it. You can make it out of cheap fencing and PVC like I did. Ping me Friday afternoon original Saturday morning. I will help you through this.

Wendell

Jus10bus10

Postby Jus10bus10 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:10 am

If you live in Greensboro and using a preamp and a long distance antenna. To much amplifying will kill signal. I bunny ear on the tv in greensboro should be enough. Omni antenna be best bet. I used to live 80 miles south of greensboro and have to use a lava antenna 30ft on the roof to get greensboro channels.

leopheard

Postby leopheard » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 am

You need to add a homemade reflector behind it. You can make it out of cheap fencing and PVC like I did. Ping me Friday afternoon original Saturday morning. I will help you through this
I will try but my work schedule is a bit all over the place the next week or so. Also, do you have a picture of this reflector? By cheap fencing do you mean chicken wire type stuff ?
🐔
Last edited by leopheard on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

leopheard

Postby leopheard » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 am

If you live in Greensboro and using a preamp and a long distance antenna. To much amplifying will kill signal. I bunny ear on the tv in greensboro should be enough. Omni antenna be best bet. I used to live 80 miles south of greensboro and have to use a lava antenna 30ft on the roof to get greensboro channels.
I'm about 50 miles SE of Greensboro. Good signal for a lot of channels, but a few that don't come through entirely and some that should be crystal but are broken up. Will try the reflector as above, but also the proper amplifier as I was over boosting it when I tried that recently. Still getting patchy signal with no booster or pre-amp, although I did find making the coaxial cable as long as possible and not looped or touching itself did help a lot

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 am

You need to add a homemade reflector behind it. You can make it out of cheap fencing and PVC like I did. Ping me Friday afternoon original Saturday morning. I will help you through this
I will try but my work schedule is a bit all over the place the next week or so. Also, do you have a picture of this reflector? By cheap fencing do you mean chicken wire type stuff ?
🐔
Any time you 'hack' antennae - the success rate is VERY low. Pre-made antennae are designed to work best just the way they come. If you can improve it - it's a miracle. Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V is a piece of junk. A $100 piece of junk to boot.

Buy a real antennae designed for the bands you need to receive - or build one from scratch. 50+ years of experience has taught me what to waste time on - and what not to.

Jus10bus10

Postby Jus10bus10 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Signal strong just directionnal antenna are limited by line of sight only towers. Buut i would recieve signal from towers closer in opposite direction the antenna is facing.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”