How to transmit wifi to non-smart TV's?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dsw67

How to transmit wifi to non-smart TV's?

Postby dsw67 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm thinking of going with the Homerun Extend so I can use wifi to transmit the signal from my router to my TV's. The problem is, none of them are Smart TVs. How can I make it so they will accept wifi? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dana
Last edited by dsw67 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpcameron

Re: How to transmit wifi to non-smart TV's?

Postby rpcameron » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:52 pm

None of SiliconDust's tuners are actually WiFi enabled. To use them with WiFi you must have a WiFi access point. While the Extend can natively transcode which may reduce the bandwidth being using on wireless frequencies, its functioning is no different than any other tuner SiliconDust sells.

The HDHomeRun line of tuners are all network devices. This means that they take the TV or cable signal and enable access to those streams over your home network. To view these streams on your TV, you need 3 things:
  1. A device which can view those streams attached to your TV. (In the case of a "smart TV", the TV and the device may be same thing.)
  2. Software for that device that can access and display the stream coming from the HDHomeRun tuner.
  3. A network connection between the device and the rest of your home network. (This connection may be WiFi, but high-bandwidth streams such as those from TV are always best when used over a wired connection.)
[removed by moderator]

Kallestrup

Postby Kallestrup » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:11 am

The problem is, none of them are Smart TV
In my bedroom, i'm using a NVIDIA Shield, with the HomeRun app installed (via the Google store), connected via hdmi to a non-smart TV.
The NVIDIA shield is connected to my network via wifi and it works like a charm :-)

Just make sure you have a strong wifi signal where your tv's are.

Regards

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 am

I'm not sure why content was removed from my previous post. I commented that SiliconDust's promotional materials on their website and product descriptions are misleading. This is especially evident when showing that their devices support WiFi, when there are no wireless radios in their hardware.

Here is a screen capture from their website taken this morning (9 March 2019):

As you can see from the image, SiliconDust has clearly implied that their tuners support WiFi, which is not the case. (Yes, you can stream over WiFi, but only if you have existing infrastructure. Also, there are bandwidth considerations when using WiFi, especially with mesh WiFi routers like Google WiFi and Eero.)

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:03 am

As you can see from the image, SiliconDust has clearly implied that their tuners support WiFi, which is not the case. (Yes, you can stream over WiFi, but only if you have existing infrastructure.
Yeah, that's just a bit >< misleading, IMO. They really ought to * that one.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:11 am

I don't think dsw67 was confused about if the HDHomeRun itself had wifi, but just needed to use wifi for the TVs. In any case, it's a fair point about the website, so let's discuss that in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=71083

dsw67

Postby dsw67 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 am

Do you need one NVIDIA Shield per TV, or can one NVIDIA Shield service multiple TV's?

In my bedroom, i'm using a NVIDIA Shield, with the HomeRun app installed (via the Google store), connected via hdmi to a non-smart TV.
The NVIDIA shield is connected to my network via wifi and it works like a charm :-)

Just make sure you have a strong wifi signal where your tv's are.

Regards

dsw67

Postby dsw67 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:38 am

You are correct. I wasn't asking if HDHomeRun had wifi. I was asking how to get wifi from my router to my non smart TVs in order to watch OTA content. No idea how the thread got derailed.
I don't think dsw67 was confused about if the HDHomeRun itself had wifi, but just needed to use wifi for the TVs. In any case, it's a fair point about the website, so let's discuss that in a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=71083

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Each TV would need its own box.

Kallestrup

Postby Kallestrup » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Do you need one NVIDIA Shield per TV, or can one NVIDIA Shield service multiple TV's?
One per tv i'm afraid ;)

But there are cheaper options than NVidia shield, most wifi media players should work:

https://www.wirelesshack.org/what-is-a- ... -work.html

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm

We do not recommend use of uncertified Chinese Android boxes. Some of them might work, but a lot of them have problems, and it's difficult to tell in advance what you'll end up with.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 pm

I know they're a bit long in the tooth for a media player, but Raspberry Pi 3's are still a favorite of mine for cheap HDHomeRun clients. Even if you end up replacing them, they're very handy devices and have a ton of community projects/tutorials on, so almost nothing is wasted. Load up LibreELEC on there and the HDHomeRun Kodi add-on, and you're off. I bet it would be easy to throw together an image that has the add-on already installed and is set to automatically start, while hiding the rest of the Kodi interface (should that be desired), so one only has to install once on the SD card. If your TV supports CEC, you don't even need to buy a separate remote control.

That being said, if you also need other streaming services like Netflix and such, then an official Android TV box is hard to beat. The MiBox S from Walmart is often on sale for $50 (I think it's normally $60), and you can even get a cheap USB ethernet adapter if your wifi has trouble with those large MPEG2 video streams.

patrickjburt

Postby patrickjburt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 am

Great info to know about....

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:48 am

The least expensive options are probably MiBox S Android TV devices and Amazon FireTV devices.

It's difficult to recommend either. The Xiaomi MiBox S, because their MiBox 3's were such an unmitigated disaster. OTOH: They replaced both of our problematical MiBox 3's with MiBox S' under warranty, and the MiBox S' appear to be working well enough. It's difficult to recommend the Amazon FireTV for any number of reasons--chief among them being they've a very spotty performance record.

Other than that it's pretty much the expensive route: Nvidia Shield. (Which has not been without its issues, either.) If SD ever came out with an Apple TV app, that'd probably be the best bet, but they haven't, so it's not an option.

leerandall

Postby leerandall » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:52 am

I'm getting great service out of my Jetstream 4K box that I bought from Walmart. It was $10 more than the MiBox at the time, but I'd already been burned by the MiBox 3 and wasn't going to take another chance on one. It's in my junk drawer now, getting ready for spring cleaning.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”