noob basic requirements/functionality questions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ausrun

noob basic requirements/functionality questions

Postby ausrun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm admittedly a spoiled/lazy child here still using WMC on W8.1 but trying to leave the baggage behind and move to w10 across the board (plus some android). Anyway, I was looking at this as the simplest solution without any significant drawbacks and "joined the club" only to get the whole story after the fact. So just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, the "always on PC" (or NAS box or whatever) is a hard requirement that there's no intention of growing out of ... no WOL from the homerun box, no setting a wakeup time based on next recording, just always on. Is that correct? And no actual "TV guide" ... just a list of shows from which you can dig out your targets? Since I'm immediately getting an error message about my setup not handling multicast correctly, I'm thinking the whole picture is tarnished enough that I'll eiither hang on to w8.1 as long as it lasts, or move to a pure open source setup. Am I missing some remarkable piece of value? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the sarcasm/jadedness.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: noob basic requirements/functionality questions

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Correct, the design is that the DVR must be always on. What you use for the DVR is up to you, it doesn't need to be a PC that draws a lot of power, but could instead be a low-powered NAS, or the upcoming Servio. Having the DVR asleep doesn't work with the way clients are designed to find and communicate with the DVR. You'd have to hard pair the client to the DVR and then hope that the hardware the DVR is running on supports wake on LAN and that it actually works right, and then still have a delay before you could watch TV while that device wakes up and spins up all its drives, which could take several minutes on a NAS with multiple disks. If you moved the DVR to another device, or even did something as simple as replacing the network card in a DVR PC or moving the network connection in a multiple-NIC NAS to the other port, you'd have to set up every one of your clients again. And that's just from the client side, not even counting trying to wake up the hardware for scheduled recordings, which is something that is far from universally reliable in my experience.

ausrun

Postby ausrun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for the explanation! Thanks to my day job, I get the serviceability advantages of this solution. In my comparatively narrow use of the product, power consumption is of concern, but the more important angle is that whatever equipment will have to survive much worse environmentals (Texas summer), when only being used briefly in the evening. A small NAS or dedicated android are plausible solutions that could live with the other always on stuff that are cooled by a fan 24/7, but it's another investment where the "if it ain't broke" adage should apply.

Gewithers

Postby Gewithers » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm

A Mac Mini works really well for both power consumption and performance. I have a 2011 Server with a Quad core i7, 16 GB ram and it works like a charm. Grab a used one cheap and it will run quite nicely.

I have 2 EXTENDs and A QUATRO and have so far recorded 5 streams simultaneously.

I only have the QUATRO for a few days so I have not tried doing 8 recordings at once.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”