Issue with Wemo smartplug and hdhomerun

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
asauers

Issue with Wemo smartplug and hdhomerun

Postby asauers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:46 am

This is weird, i know....

Building on my issue here: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70252

I think i have narrowed this down to something my wemo mini smartplugs are doing that is causing issues with the hdhomerun. Does anyone here have wemo minis (on current firmware) and no issues?

From the screenshots, you can see that something is happening every 10 minutes, when it does, the hdhomerun stream is interrupted. Not sure how they are related since the hdhomerun clients are not on wifi.

24 hour period

when that spike happens (which it does every 10 minutes), the hdhomerun stream breaks up for a few seconds
Image.

if i mac filter and kick the minis off the network, the issue goes away. so it seems this is a wemo issue, but i'd like to know if anyone else is using them without problems.

mikeg26

Re: Issue with Wemo smartplug and hdhomerun

Postby mikeg26 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

I have six Wemo Minis and about eleven older Wemo units. No issues with hdhomerun.

asauers

Postby asauers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am

I have six Wemo Minis and about eleven older Wemo units. No issues with hdhomerun.
can you tell me what firmware they are on? WeMo_WW_2.00.11143.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2?

and do you have an HDHR prime? i should have mentioned that,

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 am

In some cases anything wifi (rf) related may require something be moved. Double check cables and all coax connectors. It is also possible, though nothing wemo related comes to my mind, that some event is happening that "floods" the network (I one time came across a person have a switching loop between his wifi and wired devices that caused something similar, but typically that wouldn't stop)

asauers

Postby asauers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 pm

In some cases anything wifi (rf) related may require something be moved. Double check cables and all coax connectors. It is also possible, though nothing wemo related comes to my mind, that some event is happening that "floods" the network (I one time came across a person have a switching loop between his wifi and wired devices that caused something similar, but typically that wouldn't stop)
it doesn't make much sense to me. Wemo is supposed to be investigating. I have a feeling that it has something to do with their firmware. there was an update at the beginning of sept, which seems to be about the time my issues started. if they can't sort it out, i'll be dumping them and getting a different smartplug.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 pm

I have Wemos on my home network too. Both Gen1's (WeMo_WW_2.00.11057.PVT-OWRT-SNS) and Gen2's (WeMo_WW_2.00.11143.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2). I am not aware of any issues with them and either of my wired HDHR's, a Duo and Quatro.

I have occasionaly had connectivity problems with the Wemos. They can be grouchy. I wonder if your network spike is IGMP traffic from the Wemos? See if enabling "IGMP Snooping" on your router makes a difference.

Also, do you have any Wemos that are broadcasting their setup SSID? I've had configured/normal gen2's start doing that occasionally, and when they do they often act a little off. Resetting the offending Wemo Wifi settings fixes it for a few weeks.

Good luck

asauers

Postby asauers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:45 am

I have Wemos on my home network too. Both Gen1's (WeMo_WW_2.00.11057.PVT-OWRT-SNS) and Gen2's (WeMo_WW_2.00.11143.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2). I am not aware of any issues with them and either of my wired HDHR's, a Duo and Quatro.

I have occasionaly had connectivity problems with the Wemos. They can be grouchy. I wonder if your network spike is IGMP traffic from the Wemos? See if enabling "IGMP Snooping" on your router makes a difference.

Also, do you have any Wemos that are broadcasting their setup SSID? I've had configured/normal gen2's start doing that occasionally, and when they do they often act a little off. Resetting the offending Wemo Wifi settings fixes it for a few weeks.

Good luck
I have IGMP snooping enabled with no change. yes, constant SSID broadcasting! another bug introduced with the latest firmware. I will try resetting each one tonight to see if that changes anything.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 am

Cool, yeah, something to try anyway.

In case you didn't know, you can figure out which Wemo is the culprit by comparing the setup-SSID with the serial numbers on the Wemos. S/N's are printed on each Wemo but also in the App under the Setting & About -> Hardware Info section. You also don't need to completely reset the offending Wemo, just the "Reset Wifi" option does the trick for me. That leaves the name & schedules intact but ceases the inappropriate setup SSID broadcast. No idea if that will help your problem, but good luck.

asauers

Postby asauers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:56 am

Cool, yeah, something to try anyway.

In case you didn't know, you can figure out which Wemo is the culprit by comparing the setup-SSID with the serial numbers on the Wemos. S/N's are printed on each Wemo but also in the App under the Setting & About -> Hardware Info section. You also don't need to completely reset the offending Wemo, just the "Reset Wifi" option does the trick for me. That leaves the name & schedules intact but ceases the inappropriate setup SSID broadcast. No idea if that will help your problem, but good luck.
currently they are all broadcasting their SSID. :roll: where is the reset wifi option? I don't see it in the android app.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:03 am

I'm on iOS, so maybe the app is different.

First, make sure you're connected to the same Wifi the Wemos are, i.e., you're at home. The reset options are different when you're accessing Wemo's remotely.

From the Device list, there's a pencil-looking icon at the top right, normally just used to rearrange the Wemo list order. Tap that, then tap on the Wemo you want to edit. You should see a page with Wemo Name, Picture, and Reset Options. Tap Reset Options and you should see like "Reset Name, Rules, & Data", Reset Wifi Only", etc.

asauers

Postby asauers » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:09 am

I'm on iOS, so maybe the app is different.

First, make sure you're connected to the same Wifi the Wemos are, i.e., you're at home. The reset options are different when you're accessing Wemo's remotely.

From the Device list, there's a pencil-looking icon at the top right, normally just used to rearrange the Wemo list order. Tap that, then tap on the Wemo you want to edit. You should see a page with Wemo Name, Picture, and Reset Options. Tap Reset Options and you should see like "Reset Name, Rules, & Data", Reset Wifi Only", etc.
thanks! I am accessing remotely right now, so maybe that's the issue.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”