Are the original HDHR-US Dual still supported?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mike808

Are the original HDHR-US Dual still supported?

Postby mike808 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:37 am

I have an "OG" HDHomerun Dual (HDHR-US 1019F76F) that I don't use anymore (upgraded to duals, and now a quatro).
I want to let whomever I sell/give this to know what the current limitations are, so that they aren't disappointed when something doesn't work or needs some sort of workaround.

What are the features that these old HDHR-US Dual models just cannot do?
I think I read that they do not work with the DVR at all because they do not do http streaming. Is that true of the Plex DVR or other DVRs too?
What else do they not do (obviously due to hardware limitations from years ago)?

What's the last/latest firmware that installs on them?

Are there limitations on the viewers? e.g. only the Windows desktop app works. Obviously they are like the connects and do not transcode to MP4 like the extends do.

I don't want to overstate its capabilities and want to disclose the limitations that come with nearly 10-year old hardware. That it still works and is still even somewhat supported is quite a testament to SiliconDust's future-proof design and product build. Not many electronics can say that. Heck, my car has a useless cassette tape player in the dash, and it is newer than my HDHR-US Dual!

Thanks in advance. Also, reply or PM if interested in it. We can talk offline on the details.

brianjonesphoto

Re: Are the original HDHR-US Dual still supported?

Postby brianjonesphoto » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 am

I'd like to know this too. I have 2 of the first HDHR tuners. I'm about to retire my windows 7 media center and wanted to know what options I have for using these tuners on other platforms.

Thanks

tmm1

Postby tmm1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm

FYI these old tuners are supported by the Channels app and Channels DVR

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Live TV viewing is supported in the currently apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. A channel scan must first be run in HDHomeRun Setup on Windows. The HDHomeRun DVR does not work with legacy devices due to the lack of HTTP streaming support, but they can be used with all the applications that they were originally designed to be used with - WMC, SageTV, NextPVR, MythTV, etc.. Plex support seems to be hit or miss, but admittedly I don't keep up with the day to day of Plex so maybe they've improved.

drknow888

Postby drknow888 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Should we install the latest version of the drivers and firmware for the HRHR3-us? Or should we use one of the older versions for best performance and reliability?

I'm still using Media Center as my interface.

Thanks!

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:12 am

Should we install the latest version of the drivers and firmware for the HRHR3-us? Or should we use one of the older versions for best performance and reliability?

I'm still using Media Center as my interface.

Thanks!
Newer firmwares still support the older methods, so feel free to update.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”