Weak Oob lock and signal quality.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Blast

Weak Oob lock and signal quality.

Postby Blast » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:58 am

Hi everyone.my signal quality is always at 49% and Weak Oob Lock I am using hdhrprime with fios. How do i get it up to 100%. Thanks

gtb
Expert

Re: Weak Oob lock and signal quality.

Postby gtb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi everyone.my signal quality is always at 49% and Weak Oob Lock I am using hdhrprime with fios. How do i get it up to 100%. Thanks
Is this a new thing that has started happening recently, or has the signal always been low? Presuming this is a recent change this has the symptom of an ONT going bad. They are reported to sometimes do that with age. The only fix is to get FiOS to replace the ONT.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

What issue are you having... OOB can be very, very, very low and have no impact.

Lately there have been many that have had to replace their aging ONT.

I suggest you enable of sending of diagnostics data to SD and then run a channel scan and report your DeviceID so SD can check the logs. I believe jasonl has indicated there is a certain "pattern" that they see if it is the ONT going out.

Blast

Postby Blast » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks guys. Will try these suggestions. And report back.

Blast

Postby Blast » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Is this a new thing that has started happening recently, or has the signal always been low? Presuming this is a recent change this has the symptom of an ONT going bad. They are reported to sometimes do that with age. The only fix is to get FiOS to replace the ONT.
I only had this ont for about 6 months

Blast

Postby Blast » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 am

Update: I had verizon change my ont and cable card and the results is still the same🙁. I am beginning to think that my Hdhr prime is going bad. The problem is Silicondust no longer selling them. Is the 6 tuner still coming?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

Again, weak oob doesn't mean a whole lot... it can be very weak and still work (though I would prefer it say locked) as it is different from the video "qam" (I have had OOB work successfully down to under -20 (on occasion), and typically will see it well below -7). But I do find it strange that fios would be so low.

Typically with OOB an FM trap may influence as well as with a few amps. It is also possible an FM station may be influencing it so make sure all cables are properly shielded and connections are good.

What it is more important to look at is the signal quality of the video channels, not OOB.

Blast

Postby Blast » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Again, weak oob doesn't mean a whole lot... it can be very weak and still work (though I would prefer it say locked) as it is different from the video "qam" (I have had OOB work successfully down to under -20 (on occasion), and typically will see it well below -7). But I do find it strange that fios would be so low.

Typically with OOB an FM trap may influence as well as with a few amps. It is also possible an FM station may be influencing it so make sure all cables are properly shielded and connections are good.

What it is more important to look at is the signal quality of the video channels, not OOB.
Yeah some channels are cutting out now and weak signal is shown on the tv screen.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:32 am

what software (weak signal has always been one of the 3 catch all issues pages on wmc regardless of whether signal is weak or not, 90% of the time I have come across it, its been a failing hard drive and I often been able to eliminate it by moving the buffer to another drive... SSD's are also often have this issue with wmc). There is also a registry entry that can help for wmc.

what are the signals like from the actual tuner pages (when tuned to a channel)... in other words, forget the signal levels you see on the cablecard menu page and only look at the specific tuners. By the way, one of the symptoms of a failing power supply is that one or two of the tuners might have a weak signal.

Did you ever do what I first said and "enable of sending of diagnostics data to SD and then run a channel scan and report your DeviceID so SD can check the logs."

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”