Using two HDHomerun Connect devices on one line

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
keithr386@yahoo.ca

Using two HDHomerun Connect devices on one line

Postby keithr386@yahoo.ca » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 am

I am looking at combining - ganging two identical antennas (two antenna farms at 90 degrees from my house) in a single line to the coax outlet near my TV. If I am successful there, I am hoping to add a second HDHomerun so I can have up to four devices connecting / recordings happening at once. I already have two HDHomerun Connect devices. What are the implications / possible pitfalls would there be if I split the above combined antennas to the two devices? Will I experience signal loss? Running two coax is not an option.

ebo

Re: Using two HDHomerun Connect devices on one line

Postby ebo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

Passive splitters necessarily reduce the signal to each output: 3.5 dB for a 2-way splitter, 7 dB for a 4-way. That shouldn't be an issue if the incoming signals are reasonably strong. If not, you might need an antenna preamp. But a preamp can add its own problems so don't use one if you don't need to.

A bigger problem might come from combining the outputs of two antennas without specialized filtering. If the antennas are highly directional and none of the signals are very strong it should work. But if both antennas pick up signals from the same station and you combine them, they may partially add or cancel. Also, even a directional antenna might pick up a reflection of a signal bounced off other buildings or land masses, resulting in multipath distortion. Even the relative lengths of the cables from the antennas to the joiner can affect the result. It can all get pretty complicated. Or you can just try it; maybe you'll get lucky.

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Using two HDHomerun Connect devices on one line

Postby Mediaman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 am

You can try to use a splitter in reverse. It may create issues with the same station coming from different directions. Look up the frequencies from different directions and see if a diplexer may be what you want to use. That would take the higher frequencies from one direction and the low frequencies from another. Using a basic splitter to combine two antennas in different directions may create a myriad of issues or not... which could change day to day.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”