Prime6

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
NYPlayer

Re: Prime6

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm

The only way I would invest in a Prime 6 if I can record DRM … currently I have 2 Primes and will not need extra tuners if I cannot record DRM.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

The only way I would invest in a Prime 6 if I can record DRM … currently I have 2 Primes and will not need extra tuners if I cannot record DRM.
If you use Windows Media Center, you can record DRM channels.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

and … ??? That dinosaur does not work on H264 Comcast with HD graphics .. so it is useless in my household.... nor would I invest on any equipment to run it.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:09 pm

and … ??? That dinosaur does not work on H264 Comcast with HD graphics .. so it is useless in my household.... nor would I invest on any equipment to run it.
Wow... My apologies for trying to help. Windows Media Center still works quite well for me with our Verizon FIOS service and the EPG123 guide data replacement. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you. I'm quite happy with my dinosaur.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Wow... My apologies for trying to help. Windows Media Center still works quite well for me with our Verizon FIOS service and the EPG123 guide data replacement. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you. I'm quite happy with my dinosaur.
I wasn't criticizing you ... I never did like WMC even when it was supported .. instead I used SageTV with a Happauge capture device hooked up to a comcast box.

I still will only buy a Prime 6 if support for DRM comes first.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I wasn't criticizing you ... I never did like WMC even when it was supported .. instead I used SageTV with a Happauge capture device hooked up to a comcast box.

I still will only buy a Prime 6 if support for DRM comes first.
Well, your post quite frankly came across as pretty obnoxious. Since you're being rather vague about where you're expecting DRM support to be added, I suppose you must mean SiliconDust's DVR software which had promised DRM support quite some time ago when they first launched the Kickstarter. Anyway, good luck.

I'm intending to buy 2 or 3 of these as soon as they're available and use them with a combo of Windows Media Center and JRiver Media Center. WMC may not be the sexiest software out there, but it has been rock solid for me AND has DRM support.

Any way, good luck in your search.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm

I believe there was a post from SD a bit ago that the new Prime would be released concurrently when SD's DVR software can finally record DRM.

Of course, DRM playback is limited to the same platforms that are supported now.

tdi-me

Postby tdi-me » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 am

Is there an actual release date?
I would love to upgrade the hdhr prime 3 tuner i currently have. I have been thinking about buying another 3 tuner version but with a 6 tuner coming out soon I would be better off buying a six and decoming the old one.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am

Is there an actual release date?
Not yet, Lon Siedman and SD are having an interview soon [next week or so] so maybe some announcements will be made [possibly Lon has been using the new 6]! Hopefully a release date on the prime6 will come along with something on the proposed ota tuner with built in ram for recording. The software folks have been focused on android drm release and a new ui secondarily while looking at any overall issues in the system. On the guide side, they have been expanding guide service around the world and working out service issues. So hopefully we get some overall update on all this...

cbyanks03

Postby cbyanks03 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm new to this technology. I have a couple questions. Will the new 6 allow you to record six different channels at once?

I understand you have to attach your own hard drive via usb to a Prime. What format does the Prime record programs in on the hard drive? i.e. .TS .MP4, and are you able to record in a desired quality (mbps)?

If you are unable to record to hard drive in a desire format, can I output the video from the Prime and record to my laptop via my Hauppauge PVR?

Thanks for any help you can provide. The reason I ask these questions is because I want to be able to work with the recorded files, turn them into DVDs or Blu Rays.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 pm

I'm new to this technology. I have a couple questions. Will the new 6 allow you to record six different channels at once?
yes
I understand you have to attach your own hard drive via usb to a Prime.
That is not how it works, the usb port of the prime is for a tuning adapter not for storage... you would need a computer/nas with some app to record for storage
What format does the Prime record programs in on the hard drive? i.e. .TS .MP4, and are you able to record in a desired quality (mbps)?
Nearly all software that supports the prime records in whatever format the signal comes in (it would be a ts) as there is no transcoding directly with the prime (there may be some software that may transcode itself on the fly or do some post processing to the file).
If you are unable to record to hard drive in a desire format, can I output the video from the Prime and record to my laptop via my Hauppauge PVR?
you can use your laptop but I doubt the hauppauge pvr will do it (there is a chance as hauppauge does offer a similar network tuner but I can't remember if that software ever even supported it.
Thanks for any help you can provide. The reason I ask these questions is because I want to be able to work with the recorded files, turn them into DVDs or Blu Rays.
Provided the content isn't (drm) protected you can do whatever you want to the file

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:43 am

I understand you have to attach your own hard drive via usb to a Prime. What format does the Prime record programs in on the hard drive? i.e. .TS .MP4, and are you able to record in a desired quality (mbps)?

Additional for a broader understanding open http://my.hdhomerun.com/ on the opening page go to the bottom and you will find a list of third party programs like Emby, Plex, NextPVR that offer optional platforms for non-DRM content [typically available via comcast/verizon fios for most channels]. If you click on the green DVR tab it will show the four platforms for HDHR DVR, click on those for more details.

Post processing can be done either via MCEBuddy or VidioReDo but Emby is one that can use a pc [if strong enough ] to do it during recording. But nothing can change DRM content so if your provider is spectrum [charter/time warner] all but local channels can not be transcoded. MCEBuddy is popular for removing commercials from non-DRM content. Other cable service providers vary at times by location.

cbyanks03

Postby cbyanks03 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me. I think I understand how it works. I hope the new Prime 6 has the ability for DRM streams, that would make it the perfect product. How does MCEBuddy remove the commercials? Do you have to do it manually like VideoRedo?

You don't have to answer that. I'm researching on google and youtube how to use those tools.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me. I think I understand how it works. I hope the new Prime 6 has the ability for DRM streams, that would make it the perfect product. How does MCEBuddy remove the commercials? Do you have to do it manually like VideoRedo?
DRM capability is a function of the DVR software you use with the tuner. Windows Media Center can currently handle DRM channels for the existing CableCard tuners and should work just fine with the new 6 tuner version.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 pm

No new information but this was posted on Twitter 2 days ago.

https://twitter.com/HDHomeRun_US/status ... un-prime-6

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”