Brighthouse Spectrum in Florida

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
squirrellydw

Brighthouse Spectrum in Florida

Postby squirrellydw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Does anyone know if Brighthouse Spectrum in Florida encrypts channels? My buddy has a friend down there and wants to get a Prime.

signcarver
Expert

Re: Brighthouse Spectrum in Florida

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 pm

With a prime (with cablecard) encryption is nothing to be worried about... what you may need to worry about is (drm) protection.

If you asked prior to charter takeover (and renaming to spectrum) it would have been no drm for the past few years but since the takeover I have heard of several markets adding it back in brighthouse areas.

squirrellydw

Postby squirrellydw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm

thanks DRM is what I meant

srieker

Postby srieker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Here in Sumter County, the premium chs. (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) are reported as DRM by the Prime tuners, but very few of the rest. We are being called Charter Spectrum here, as opposed to Bright House in other areas. Had to recently add Cisco tuning adapters from Spectrum to pick up many digitized channels via the Cable Card. Only been on Spectrum TV about a month, so we'll see. So far the support staff have been prompt and helpful to get me going on this.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 am

With a prime (with cablecard) encryption is nothing to be worried about... what you may need to worry about is (drm) protection.

If you asked prior to charter takeover (and renaming to spectrum) it would have been no drm for the past few years but since the takeover I have heard of several markets adding it back in brighthouse areas.

After 3 conversations with Spectrum, they had no clue what DRM meant. Is there another term I could use or words to explain?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

After 3 conversations with Spectrum, they had no clue what DRM meant. Is there another term I could use or words to explain?
The technical term is "Copy Control Information (CCI)". It refers to flags marked for an entire channel, or for just a particular program/duration on that channel. Generally, the options are: Copy Freely (no DRM), Copy Once (DRM, can view and record), and Copy Never (DRM, can only view live, cannot record). More broadly, there are a few additional flags, but those are the only I have ever seen in in the past decade or so in use.

More information: Copy Control Information (Wikipedia)

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Just got off the phone with someone with knowledge. No Drm $1 cable card fee $1 secure connection fee.
They wanted a whopping $22 for a single Dvr. Thanks for SD

jasonmcroy

Postby jasonmcroy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm

I am not sure what exact city your friend is in but I am in the Tampa market and I had Brighthouse cable prior to Spectrum buying them out. When it was just Brighthouse the only DRM channels were the pay channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) and one other minor channel but everything else was not DRM flagged.

I cancelled my cable sub for about 3 months right as Spectrum was taking them over so I could explore cord cutting with just an antennae (I am only 10 miles from the OTA towers) and while it was working I still missed the few channels not available OTA so I restarted my cable sub because they gave me a good deal on that with the internet package. Lo and behold every channel except the locals that I can get via the antennae were now DRM flagged. I immediately took everything back and cancelled the cable again and bought two more HDHomerun Extends and decided we would just get the few shows we watched via cable by buying the season pass on Google Play (way cheaper than what I was paying per year for cable btw). I did try Playstation Vue for a bit but it was more expensive too for what I watched overall.

Anyway, I know I have been a bit long winded here but that was over a year ago so I don't know if they have changed anything since then or not.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”