Tuner sensitivity.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Sev

Re: Tuner sensitivity.

Postby Sev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Also been monitoring Channel 11.1 this morning.
All the meters are registering 100%. I am still getting some pixelation and choppiness.

Sev

Postby Sev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm

What VHF low channel are you having trouble with? The only VHF low I see in your area is WCYB, and that seems to be coming in quite well. I do see VHF high channel 9 (19.x) coming and going. When it comes in, it's only around 52% signal quality, where 50% is the absolute minimum to fully decode the signal. That one is broadcasting from Bays Mountain (directly across the river from Kingsport).
I swung the Antenna around to around 263 degrees.
If you get a chance to take a look. Let me know what you get.

Thank you.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm

When you had 11.1 going from about 9am to 10am, there were no issues indicated at all during that time. Reception was perfect.

For 2.1, there was a scan run at 3:46pm that looked really good. No viewing was done at that time so I can't see beyond that one instant in time. Most of the other scans run were not locking on it at all.

Sev

Postby Sev » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 am

A few days ago. I replaced my Radioshack VU-190XR with a Winegard HD8200U.
Signal strength has increased.
However I am still experiencing periodic pixelation even when all the meters show more than adequate signal strength.

So what I believe I am going to do is pick up an old HDHR-US and compare against it to the new unit.

I have a Sedelco 800CLI signal meter I can use to compare the the signal strength coming down the coax vs what the silicon dust units are registering.

On a positive note. Which I am sure others have discovered.
While using both tuners and having one 1 tv directly connected via coax. I have found that the Firestick that is connected to one TV produces enough buffer to eliminate pixelation as long as the signal does not degrade to much. It creates about a 5-10 second delay in the program vs a tv that is connected directly to coax.
I would imagine this effect would be enhanced by a more powerful android unit that has more memory capacity there by creating a larger buffer.
Could be a solution for certain users.

Sev

Postby Sev » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 am

I recently introduced an HDHR dual input model to my setup.

I am using some DX'ing software that has all the tuners on continuous scan to monitor the sensitivity of the tuners.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”