HD Homerun Video Freezing and Stutter - watchnoface

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
watchnoface

HD Homerun Video Freezing and Stutter - watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I have two new HDHome Run extends connected to PCT MA28PN RF Amplifier Passive Return CATV Amp. Amp connected to RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 70 Mile Range. HDHomeRuns are connected to TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch which connects to Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router. I have a new (version 2 Released late October 2017) FireTV along with 3 other version 2 Firesticks. Viewing Live TV with direct COAX connection to any TV shows all channels perfect with no stutter or freezing. Using HDHomeRun on any device or using any application (PLEX or EMBY) the video stutter or freezes. It does this much more for NBC but occurs on any channel eventually. I check tuner status and I am always about 80% in signal strength. Any suggestions to figure this out will really help. Oh, I also tried the different transcode configuration profiles but still same issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HD Homerun Video Freezing and Stutter

Postby jasonl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 pm

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  2. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  3. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna tab
  4. Click OK
  5. Open the HDHomeRun app on one of the FireTV sticks and watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes
If you are using a Mac:
  1. Open Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10
  2. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  3. After the powerup sequence finishes, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun's web page
  4. Open the HDHomeRun app on one of the FireTV sticks and watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

paarlberg

Postby paarlberg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I am having exactly the same issue. Primarily it is NBC (WXIA Atlanta), but other channels are doing it as well. No issues with the antenna connected to my TV. I am just NE of Atlanta and I am receiving 118 channels on a DB8 antenna. Some channels as far as 65 miles on the back side, and about 15-22 miles to most channels on the front side of the antenna.

I had a Connect originally but wanted to use the transcoding and gave the connect to my mom and she has not had any issues (that I know of). The issues started when I upgraded to the connect. I have found the Symbol Quality is the key to when the video starts having issues. All hardwired Cisco gigabit network.

watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 am

I have done as requested on both extends via Windows 10. Both extends are on firmware version 20170930 and using heavy transcode configuration.
Thanks

lswartz

Postby lswartz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 am

Are you having problems with only NBC? [added: I just reread your post & see that it is happening on all channels] When I updated the firmware & app 2 days ago I lost everything, installed the beta app (thanks Nick) & all channels work except for NBC which starts & then freezes picture & sound. The strange thing is NBC works just fine on my Win7 computer & my laptop with Win10 (but I didn't & won't update the app).

My guess is it is the new app, but that is just a guess.

Update.
I found a work around solution, don't use the app at all. I start setup click on antenna & then on NBC 11.1 or 8.1 (for my area) & it works perfectly. The weird part is 11.2 or 8.2 work using the app. So for now, it is just a lot of clicks to get to NBC but the wife is happy :lol:

watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 am

lswartz,
When you mention updating apps, are you referring to HDHomerun apps on Firestick or FireTV? Also, where can I get beta of HDHomerun Extend software you are using to test?
Thanks and I am located in Greenville NC which NBC is 7.1

lswartz

Postby lswartz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 am

lswartz,
When you mention updating apps, are you referring to HDHomerun apps on Firestick or FireTV? Also, where can I get beta of HDHomerun Extend software you are using to test?
Thanks and I am located in Greenville NC which NBC is 7.1
I am using Win 10 apps & an older (3 years or so) model of the HDHomerun Connect Legacy (model HDHR3-US). You can get the beta version on their web page under support, downloads then look under information on that page. Here is a link to it viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613

Hope this helps but I suspect nickk or jasonl can give you the best answers.
Last edited by lswartz on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info and will wait on support response as suggested.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:39 am

1057278F
1057173A

I have included both extend IDs.
Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm

The logs show that every few minutes, there is a drop in the signal quality, causing reception errors. This is usually a sign that you're picking up multipath interference from some sort of moving object. I have a similar situation where I live. The takeoff/landing path for one of the runways at a nearby airport crosses between me and the local broadcast towers, and if I have my antenna in certain positions, every time a plane passes over my reception glitches. After trying several different positions, I was able to find one that didn't have this issue. It's not just limited to planes either - I've come across people who would have trouble any time a train passed. Tilting the antenna up or down can often help in these situations.

watchnoface

Postby watchnoface » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm

I have repositioned antenna and will monitor. Thanks for assistance and hope this resolves my issue.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”