Choppy - Freezing Video

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
direwolf-npz

Choppy - Freezing Video

Postby direwolf-npz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Guys, I've been using your product for 5 or 6 years. I've used it with Intel Core 2 Duos wrkstns had had the best picture ever.
Right now.. all of my wrkstns (nice ones/modern ones) are freaking out. It's choppy. It's freezing. It's throwing Weak Signal.
I'm hardwired everywhere. My pings are flawless >1ms. I know you've been working on your DVR solution and thats swell but right now your core product is jacked. You've made so many changes recently I dont know if it's software or firmware. I know it doesnt matter if I use your Win 10 app or Win 8.1 Windows Media Center wrkstns. Its all the same. Choppy and pixelated. Please make it awesome again like it was. Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Choppy - Freezing Video

Postby jasonl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 pm

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

On the Windows 10 PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Windows software from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, run a channel scan
  5. Click OK
  6. Open the app and move your mouse to the top-left corner and a hamburger stack icon will appear. Click on it and enable the option to send diagnostic information
  7. Watch live TV for at least 10 minutes
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

direwolf-npz

Postby direwolf-npz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Done and Done. Thanks. Some baseball playoffs to watch tonight -- will report back afterward with ID info. You've a great product (its been one of my tech favorites for years) so I dont mind trying the beta. One more thing.. please note the CPU usage from the logs. The Win 10 app has been chewing it up lately (as high as 45% on an 8-core AMD).

in case i fall asleep. Prost.
Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 131EA1AC
Firmware: 20170930

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Make sure you reply back after you've done the viewing so the thread gets bumped, otherwise we might not see it.

direwolf-npz

Postby direwolf-npz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 pm

not bad. ran a couple wrkstns. bump for logs. peace out.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 am

No issues evident in the logs. Signal reception was flawless and there wasn't any evident network packet loss on the app side (can't see that from WMC). You might want to run a network packet loss test (viewtopic.php?t=5877) on the WMC PC and see what the results are.

direwolf-npz

Postby direwolf-npz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 am

Agreed. I can't see any issues from my end either (from a diag/log point of view). I think it's the buffer. Is there any way to adjust size/select which hard disk handles buffering? This may be a simple feature to implement. What drove me nutz is the fact that I've had much weaker wrkstns on much slower networks and never had issues. All wrkstns currently use SSD drives (FYI). So here's my 20yr MCSE network professional SWAG -- it's the buffer. 2¢

p.s. the hdhomerun prime streams have been behaving themselves recently - so no biggie. But it will stutter/freeze/chop on occasion (sometimes just changing the channel back and forth corrects this issues). In general, we're good here. Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am

WMC stores its buffer inside the TV recording location, which you can change inside WMC's TV recorder settings. Best to not use an SSD for this because of erase delays. The HDHomeRun app does not buffer to disk; the DVR does that if present and otherwise what buffer it has is in RAM.

direwolf-npz

Postby direwolf-npz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

So after the 1709 Win 10 update ( fall creators update).. everything is back to normal. CPU is now 12% (rather than 40%).
We're back to normal. Diags still being sent your way if you wish to check. Take care. Thanks.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”