HDHR Connect Quatro - Fails to Tune - Crashes Plex Apps

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
JaxChris

HDHR Connect Quatro - Fails to Tune - Crashes Plex Apps

Postby JaxChris » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 am

Anyone else having this problem? I know it is a new product, but hoping this was seen/resolved during testing before the product release.

It is advertised right on the box as working with Plex (first mention on other DVR platforms). Plex Server sees it and adds it based on the channel scan results from the HDHR setup app. But when trying to request a channel from the tuner, the Plex apps crash. Tried it on Android TV, FireTV, Android & Plex Web App. Using the HDHR Live app on Windows 7 & Windows 10 works.

All clients are on the same subnet, Quatro has the latest firmware, went to my.hdhomerun before setting up the tuner in Plex to ensure latest firmware. And my Plex server & Plex apps are up to date.

Invested in HDHR DVR, but still haven't set it up because of the lack of offline functionality. Though I would like to set up my HDHR DVR account on this new Quatro (if it works). Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

null145

Re: HDHR Connect Quatro - Fails to Tune - Crashes Plex Apps

Postby null145 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I noticed that while using the hdhomerun application on osx (sierra - not high sierra) that rapid channel changes would result in "unable to play channel" after about 4 quick channel changes. If I give the quatro a few to realize that the previous channels aren't in use anymore I can change channels once again.

I would imagine a cluster of recordings ending and starting would have the same issue.

edit: while watching/refreshing the tuner status and changing channels at the same time it seems this isn't a tuner issue but resides somewhere else as I only see 1 tuner in use at a time and once I hit the "unable to play channel" error message I have no tuners in use at the time. The channels I was tuning to all come through with 70% (at worst) signal quality and strength and 100% symbol quality.
Last edited by null145 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi,

We are not tracking any issues with Plex. Best if we can get diagnostic information...

Please run HDHomeRun Setup on a Windows machine and enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab, then reproduce the problem and post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

null145

Postby null145 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

diags enabled:

$ hdhomerun_config 1070CED7 set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10

Reproduced issue with hdhomerun app (no dvr in the mix). You should have debug info.

edit: checking quatro system logs I see many messages like this:

HTTP: rejecting request from x.x.x.x - no video data

a few like this:
HTTP: rejecting request from x.x.x.x - system is busy
HTTP: rejecting request from x.x.x.x - system is busy

a couple:
HTTP: rejecting request from x.x.x.x - invalid virtual channel number
HTTP: rejecting request from x.x.x.x - invalid virtual channel number
(I believe these are plex interactions/record attempts)

(ip addr x'd out)

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:45 pm

"System is busy" means Plex tried to tune while the HDHomeRun was running a channel scan.

I will review the logs

jrh7675

Postby jrh7675 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm

While I don't use Plex so I can't comment there but I have seen this problem using the HDHomerun app and even while using Kodi (via NextPVR) - it is actually much worse for me with Kodi than the HDHomerun app. With Kodi it happens like maybe 50% of the time I try to tune to a channel - with HDHomerun like 15% of the time. With HDHhomerun it seems like it is prone to be just certain channels - with Kodi it's a little more erratic and quite frankly it hoses Kodi up pretty bad to the point where you can't even really use it.

I opened a case with SiliconDust and they were good about collecting logs after first - on the weekend even (last weekend) - but they've gone dark the past few days.

I can wait for a fix - but I'd like to know it's not a faulty device before the window to return it lapses, I guess if others are having the problem then it must be fixable via software/firmware.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

I can wait for a fix
There may not be able to be a "fix" if your expectations do not reflect the reality of real world transmission. When you tune a "channel". you first change to the frequency and you have to first wait for signal lock, and then you have to decode the stream to determine the program information to choose to select the appropriate PIDs in order to find a keyframe. While in an ideal world with all the stars aligned the timing may be quick, the allowed (in the specs) delays (and that does not even deal with real world missing data which requires you to wait for the data to come around again), can result in quite some time. Anyone who expects "quick" tuning has never read the specs (and certainly never tried to write code to deal with real world streams).

Yes, the real (RF) world sucks. Film at eleven.

jrh7675

Postby jrh7675 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

I can wait for a fix
There may not be able to be a "fix" if your expectations do not reflect the reality of real world transmission. When you tune a "channel". you first change to the frequency and you have to first wait for signal lock, and then you have to decode the stream to determine the program information to choose to select the appropriate PIDs in order to find a keyframe. While in an ideal world with all the stars aligned the timing may be quick, the allowed (in the specs) delays (and that does not even deal with real world missing data which requires you to wait for the data to come around again), can result in quite some time. Anyone who expects "quick" tuning has never read the specs (and certainly never tried to write code to deal with real world streams).

Yes, the real (RF) world sucks. Film at eleven.
Previous to the Quatro I had a Connect and it never didn't tune a channel - actually it tuned fast. Now that I think of it the Quatro mostly tunes fast - when it tunes, as do my TVs that are straight wired into the antenna. Nonetheless speed isn't my problem - it's the all too frequent occasions of it not tuning channels - period - while my TV tunes to them just fine. When this happens if I change the channel and change it back, it comes in just fine. It's clearly not a reception problem, clearly something with Quatro or its software / firmware.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi,

We confirmed a bug where the release firmware would sometimes not tune a channel correctly.

Please download and install the latest Windows/Mac beta release to upgrade to the latest firmware:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20613

Nick

null145

Postby null145 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 am

unpacked beta firmware from package and upgraded connect quatro.
set debug as before.

57 rapid channel changes and not a single error as before which I also verified in quatro system log.
quick channel surfing now works until the hdhomerun view app crashes :)

Not sure about the plex portion of the original report yet.

edit: Plex also seems happy with the new firmware. No failures overnight or funky log messages in the quatro system log.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”