Sony TV XBR-49X800D No Device Found - Every other devices work

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Mediaman
Expert

Re: Sony TV XBR-49X800D No Device Found - Every other devices work

Postby Mediaman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm

New MY Cloud Home model, fortunately your link got me a copy of the user manual. Older unit or the My Cloud has a Network setup area where SSH and FTB are options. New unit does not show any network settings at all and they make a point about disk replacement on page 32 -

RMA -
Replacing a Drive My Cloud Home device is not a user serviceable device. No drives can be added or removed from the device. If it is faulty, it must be returned to WD as a complete unit.

My Cloud Home Duo device is a user serviceable device for RMA purposes only – you have the option to replace the drives in the device with a replacement from WD. If the entire device is faulty, it can be returned to WD as a complete unit. The unit must be powered off when removing a drive for RMA. The My Cloud Home Duo device does not support hot-swap capability.

Older unit manual about 120 pages, new 44. No side comments about disk replacement but felt they were probably the same as this from an issue to be fixed thing. But it is beyond warrantee now for me.

WD manual info links here are pretty mess up right now and I can't get that model or even the EX2 file via their system.

Good idea to check on SSH, may need to do a direct question to WD support as this is very new unit to market.

themusj

Postby themusj » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:31 pm

It looks like the WD My Cloud Home does not support SSH. At least one WD wrote me and shared that is what he remembered hearing at a meeting about them coming out. This means I would have to use Plex to make it work. Now I just learned, duh, that Plex requires the Internet connection to work. Frankly, I was looking for an home LAN only solution at this point. Does anyone know if HDHomeRun's DVR requires an Internet connection or can it be run internally within one's home. I can see the benefits of course with the other, but I don't have any immediate need to go there.

It does appear if I am recording OTA Live TV and playing it back on my Android TV, I should not need transcoding capabilities. If that is true, then I can perhaps get by with a WD My Cloud drive--if I have learned this right.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Rules and guide data for the dvr are stored on SD's servers so yes it needs internet access (it only knows what to record about 4 hours prior).

I suspect that if the "home" does not support ssh the solution would be the app but I don't know if it was one of the "select" apps (the only one I have seen mentioned is plex). I still plan on getting one in 2 weeks and have experience with getting ssh set up on devices that don't have it regularly but if it is a pain, unless the app is available I won't recommend it to anyone.

themusj

Postby themusj » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:43 am

Being that Best Buy is the exclusive seller of the My Cloud Home, with only a 14 day return policy, I think I will opt to return it unopened.

Thank you for clarifying the Internet connect. So if I may ask the subject experts this last question. I have the HDHomeRun Connect, great Internet speeds, great router and a Sony Android SmartTV. I want to record for my wife the old timey shows from OTA. These often come on in the early hours of the day. I want to record them then and play them back on the same TV as described, but maybe days later. I don't know if this means transcoding or not.

It seems some have had some success with the older My Cloud units though they have less horsepower than the new My Cloud Home units. I know about the fancy units like WD PR2100 and the QNAP TS-251+ . Do I have to have a setup like that for the simple recording and playing back as I have described.

In other words, HDHomeRun Connect + Subscription + What NAS = Record Live OTA TV and Playback on Sony Android TV.

Mega Thanks for the advanced education I am getting.!

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Being that Best Buy is the exclusive seller of the My Cloud Home, with only a 14 day return policy, I think I will opt to return it unopened.

Thank you for clarifying the Internet connect. So if I may ask the subject experts this last question. I have the HDHomeRun Connect, great Internet speeds, great router and a Sony Android SmartTV. I want to record for my wife the old timey shows from OTA. These often come on in the early hours of the day. I want to record them then and play them back on the same TV as described, but maybe days later. I don't know if this means transcoding or not.
No transcoding should not be an expected thing. If you do not see issues in playback on the tablets. Your pc should not necessarily be affected as codecs onboard should allow for deinterlacing easily. Mini pc's should be similar. Smallish android stb's may have issues regarding deinerlacing.
It seems some have had some success with the older My Cloud units though they have less horsepower than the new My Cloud Home units. I know about the fancy units like WD PR2100 and the QNAP TS-251+ . Do I have to have a setup like that for the simple recording and playing back as I have described.

In other words, HDHomeRun Connect + Subscription + What NAS = Record Live OTA TV and Playback on Sony Android TV.

Mega Thanks for the advanced education I am getting.!
The basic MyCloud works fine, Many here have been using it for two years. The mirror would be the dual drive equivalent to the MyCloud and in WD the next level would be the EX2 [base pro model] and a bit below WD PR2100. Any of these are ssh compliant and would work as a stand alone record engine. All but the MyCloud can use apps for the DVR setup and get auto restart feature. [auto start coming to regular down load for MyCloud].

US -
MyCloud 2 TB $140
MyCloud Mirror 4TB $300 (Gen 2) Better processor, dual drives
MyCloud EX2 4TB $350 better processor, hot swappable drives
PR 2100 4TB $600

themusj

Postby themusj » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Very much appreciated. Just came back from returning the new My Cloud Home unopened. No labor day deals on these I see, but I'll be looking soon into securing one. Thanks for all the good information. I trust it may benefits others as well.

themusj

Postby themusj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:24 pm

My office mate keeps suggesting I try using a Windows PC for my recording engine. He actually uses Windows Media Center. I am open to trying a PC with HDHomeRun DVR. Figure it maybe the next best step in my educational experience. If my PC can handle it and provide me the experience, I can move onto my NAS. I am leaning toward the Qnap 251 plus. Finances permitting.

So, if I understand right, I would need to get a subscription and run the HDHomeRun app again to configure it to point to some place on my hard drive?

My computer specs are:
AMD 6300 Six-Core Processor
8GB of RAM
Windows 10 64bit with 1TB of free space

Would this work? Do I have the setup right? Run the app again and when I click on DVR I assume it will ask for a purchase?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 pm

The DVR subscription is purchased from our shop at https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... /software/ . Once purchased, you'll receive an email with an activation code and a link to the activation site. Enter the code and email address and it'll activate your subscription. After that, set up the DVR software on the device of your choice and it will pull the subscription information automatically. When you're ready to move the DVR to a different device, simply disable it on the old one and set it up on the new one, and your subscription will carry over.

themusj

Postby themusj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Thank you. That indeed answered half my question. But what about the particular's of my Windows 10 workstation? Based on this thread and my ambitions, will the DVR implementation succeed on my computer work as desired. As I shared, this is my next step in this process and unless I have some assurances it will work on this current platform, it would seem perhaps better tp wait until I purchase the aforementioned NAS. So what say you, am I good to go and this DVR process work on my current windows workstation?

Thanks in advance!

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 pm

If it is only for being the record engine then no problem. If you are using a prime then need to know video card for playback of DRM content on this device? If DRM is not an issue then it should do what you want, but the pc does have to be on 24/7.

themusj

Postby themusj » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Impulsive. I was in Wal-Mart and saw they had a 3TB My Cloud unit for $149. I purchased it in faith. I believe I've read that it will work to record and playback my recordings on my home LAN TV from my HDHomeRun Connect device. If that is correct, can I get a Yes indeed?!

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:18 pm

themusj

Postby themusj » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 am

Great, that is exactly the one I have. I assume because it is not listed on this link:

viewtopic.php?t=65379

Downloads:
My Cloud EX2 Ultra
My Cloud PR2100
My Cloud PR4100
My Cloud DL2100
My Cloud DL4100
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX4
My Cloud EX2100
My Cloud EX4100
My Cloud Mirror
My Cloud Mirror Gen2

I will need to run the NAS INSTALL or manual install. Exactly what that means I am not sure. But I assume it means I setup the WD My Cloud as normal and somewhere it will have the app I can install from within a list of chosen apps?

themusj

Postby themusj » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 am

Just curious on the latter I just mentioned. I noticed the HDHomeRun app is not listed on WD's website as a supported app.

https://www.wdc.com/en-um/solutions/my-cloud-apps.html

I see Plex is. Do I assume it will show up even though not on their website if I have to install via the NAS INSTALL or manual method?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 am

You'll need to install following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20595 .

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”