PRIME Suddenly Stopped - no UPnP at Router but not the usual . . .

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
brijem

PRIME Suddenly Stopped - no UPnP at Router but not the usual . . .

Postby brijem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:34 am

Hello - my PRIME hung on a channel change yesterday & never came back from it.
Since the hang-up if I try to access any station the associated TUNER light will blink green for a moment then go dark again & the content does not play, there is only a black screen. I'm a tech of 22+ years so there's a great deal I have tried to get this going again but to no avail.

To test I've gone direct to the setup using both the web interface & the HD Homerun program (not the app) - everything checks out with the exception of actual channel streams. If I try to launch a channel (as directly as possible in the program by clicking a known-good channel number in the list & receiving that stream direct to my default media player 'VLC' - there is minimal software in-line), I only get the menitioned momentary blinking on the tuner light, then the light goes off and no stream is available. The PRIME sees the cable card, recognizes all channels during a scan, etc.

I suspect UPnP is the issues as my router (TP-Link AC3200) is not showing the PRIME under the active UPnP devices.
I'm well aware of the typical fixes for this but none work & there is no software blocking UPnP communications - this has been tested from multiple systems in the house. Also, what is odd is that this happened during playback - it was fine, then suddenly nothin'!

I've rebooted everything, disconnected all network cables and power, upgraded firmware on all relative devices (router & PRIME) - no help.
Only port 554 shows in a port scan on the PRIME but I'm unsure if additional media ports would be visible in a scan without UPnP communication established 1st. I associated the PRIME mac address with a set IP (192.168.1.25) and then tried putting it in the DMZ - no help.

Um - any ideas?!

signcarver
Expert

Re: PRIME Suddenly Stopped - no UPnP at Router but not the usual . . .

Postby signcarver » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:52 am

I would first run a channel scan and make sure DRM wasn't recently added to the channels and make sure the channels exist. Also check the logs to see if the channel requested was tuned at 999MHz as that is usually a good indication of the TA going out or needing a TA. I usually suggest not having "any" traffic not going to/from the internet touch the router and use a switch for the devices. I would also try another power supply (though usually the scan would also have trouble detecting all channels if this was the issue).

brijem

Postby brijem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 am

During a channel scan stations / signals are found readily - to be honest, I don't know where to look to see if a channel has DRM added but the list shows nothing of the sort - I've scanned many times since this happened and there never seems to be any trouble recognizing the complete & proper station list. What's odd is the TV came back briefly an hour or so ago but the broadcasts were all garbled with artifacts, etc. - this didn't last long (a few minutes) before no stream could be viewed at all, same as before. I don't see any channels tuning to 999MHz - here's a small snip of the log indicative of attempts to tune - in this case 135MHz:

20170813-15:38:14 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 2 WENH11 (auto:135MHz-1)
20170813-15:38:19 HTTP: rejecting request from 192.168.1.21 - no video data
20170813-15:38:19 Tuner: tuner0 http stream ended (requested time reached)

Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean by this:
"I usually suggest not having "any" traffic not going to/from the internet touch the router and use a switch for the devices."
The double-negative kinda throws me, but if I am understanding correctly, as it stands, the PRIME is connected via GB switch to my router and there's been minimal traffic during most of the time I've been testing / trying - much of it was done last night when no computers / devices were passing packets in any notable way.

I don't have another power supply that I know of off-hand but will see if there's something compatible in my troves of extras (tangled up in several boxes)! Still, it didn't have any issue finding channels, so, as you say, that may be the least likely - still, I will see what I have to try.

I disconnected all the coax & swapped cabling around + took an isolator out of line that I had (just to see) - same issue, no matter.

What else? This is rather bizarre - this has worked flawlessly for a very long time & suddenly . . . nope. :?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 am

Hi,

I can take a look at the diagnostic information - can you please run HDHomeRun Setup, enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab, run a new channel scan, then reply back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

brijem

Postby brijem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Nick - thanks, I ran the channel scan with diagnostic send turned on, device ID is 13177C8A .

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:52 pm

The log shows it is properly unhappy about the data coming off the card. Data from the tuners is fine.

This points to a hardware failure of some kind - card, HDHomeRun, or power adapter.

First check the power adapter is the 5V 2.5 or 3A power adapter that came with the HDHomeRun.

If that is right... if you have another 5V power adapter that is 2A or higher try that.

Next easy test is to remove the card and run a channel scan without the card. If it finds channels (depends if your cable company has any unencrypted channels) then try playing them with the HDHomeRun app.

Nick

brijem

Postby brijem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks - will do! I'll let you know what I find.

brijem

Postby brijem » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm

It seems to be the CableCard. I had a 5V 2.8A adapter around - tried that, same result, then I pulled the card and scanned & 20 some-odd channels were found, though there's no useful channels (they are all black screens save one that runs constant Comcast commercials!) it didn't hang in the same way - it easily went to broadcast though the channels excepting the Comcast commercial one are likely encrypted. Does this seem right to you, that the card is, indeed the culprit? Seems all else has been ruled out. I can replace the card easily enough. Let me know what you think & thanks! Very helpful :)

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 pm

... they are all black screens save one that runs constant Comcast commercials! ....
Typically known as a "barker", it comes across in the clear (there is usually one in analogue (which no SD tuner supports), and one in digital), and they are telling you to go subscribe to Comcast.
Does this seem right to you, that the card is, indeed the culprit?
CableCARDs are known to fail (not especially often, but that says nothing about your particular card). Getting it swapped at the local office should be relatively painless (except for the wait in line on Monday, which tends to be longer than one wants).

brijem

Postby brijem » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Well - I replaced the card today, paired it and scanned - all 237 channels I'm supposed to get showed up, BUT . . .
the issue remains :( I went ahead and set it to send diagnostics to support & then did another scan - the unit is 13177C8A .
When I go to view video the tuner light blinks for a bit then gives up ("no video data" or something like that in the log)
I'm wondering if anything else comes to mind before I go ahead and replace the Homerun itself. Any other possibilities I haven't tried? (already swapped adapters & card). Please let me know & thanks again!

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Is this a cisco cablecard? If it is check to make sure it states ready for the status on the CA screen. (one of your logs makes me think it may say Not Staged but that would usually produce a subscribed then not subscribed rather than no video but the timing seems about right)

brijem

Postby brijem » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm

It's not Cisco - it's a Motorola. By the "CA" screen do you mean "Conditional Access"?
If so, here's what comes up:
Conditional Access
UnitAddress: 000-00821-08894-217
Encryption: DES
EMM CSN: 0x42/43 unknown
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x04

. . . if not, where do I find what you're asking for?

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 pm

It wouldn't be on Moto (or at least not as apparent).

What I am surprised at is that the scan showed channels... on modern firmware, they would have to detect the video to be added. I don't work with moto cards often but I thought that EMM CSN should have had a date after it rather than unknown but that may have reset on a power cycle.

Also what adapter were you referring to as comcast doesn't use tuning adapters (TAs) and a DTA would not be used with a cablecard device (a TV in your house may use the DTA).

brijem

Postby brijem » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Oh, I meant the power adapter / power supply.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

The log shows the same problem.

First time I have seen this - must be something between the card outputting data and the CPU capturing this data.

Suggest sending a quick email to support@silicondust.com - they will help arrange a discount on a new PRIME.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”