Why is HDHR Connect so sensitive to Signal Quality? - yokuku

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
yokuku

Why is HDHR Connect so sensitive to Signal Quality? - yokuku

Postby yokuku » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm experiencing the same thing on several different channels as well - 2 different TV tuners are getting 80-95% signal strength with no quality issues, but the same channels on the HDHR Connect OTA (US version) while reporting similar signal strength are all over the place with image quality and the picture constantly going in and out for the channels.

I've already tried updating the firmware, but it doesn't seem to help. Any other troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Why is HDHR Connect so sensitive to Signal Quality? - yokuku

Postby Mediaman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:30 am

You were separated off from the thread probably because your issue is a drop in signal strength not signal quality.

What other tuners? Are you using the same coax feed cables? Did you use TVfool or other service to evaluate potential TV signal strengths in your area and multiple towers for the same channels? At their amps or preamps on the coax?

You might want to enable send diagnostics to SD on the Advanced tab in HDHR Setup. Run a channel scan and then play a channel for 5 minutes. Open a trouble ticket with SD for evaluation of tuner and situation.

yokuku

Postby yokuku » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

You were separated off from the thread probably because your issue is a drop in signal strength not signal quality.
Not sure who broke the thread off, but no - my issue is also a drop in signal quality, not signal strength.
What other tuners? Are you using the same coax feed cables?
My signal is coming into the house using an RG6 coax from the antenna to the inside panel. There is no amp/pre-amp on the connection. The HDhomerun is currently connected at this panel. I have the option to send this signal or split it to regular coax jacks in the house, which I haven't except for testing (i.e., the HDHR is the only device getting the signal with no splits when being used). To test on the other TV's with built-in tuners, I'll disconnect the HDHR and connect the antenna feed to feed the other rooms one at a time. Even with the additional 30-50 feet run to the TV, there is no loss in signal strength, but the signal quality remains high. I get no artifacts and the playback is smooth when the TV has a direct connection to the antenna. On the same channels, using the HDHR it will report a constant signal strength, but the signal quality is all over the place and I get constant in/out and degradation of the picture/signal.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am

SiliconDust's {SD] forum monitor split the thread.

What diagnostics are you using to measure signal strength and signal quality for the SD tuner? Are you using the SD web page diagnostics or the SD gui?

[removed by moderator]. Visual reference in nice to know information but not physical data that someone can help you resolve the issue here. If your not familiar with the SD diagnostics or how to access them people here can help and make suggestions based on that information.

You can go into HDHR Setup and turn on send diagnostics to SD on the advanced tab and run a channel scan and then open a trouble ticket with SD for analysis and a check on the basic functions of the tuner to see it is performing normally.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”