HDHomeRun Connect & Antenna

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jimbobba2773

HDHomeRun Connect & Antenna

Postby jimbobba2773 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi, I've recently purchased a HDHomeRun Connect and got it working but I've had to connect the antenna for the HDHomeRun Connect only a little bit, basically almost off as this is the best way I can get the signal to work properly. If I push it all the way on, the signal drops or I don't get anything. Do you think the unit is faulty (I think so) as it should be easy to just connect up. I'm using good quality RG-6 cable and this has given me the best result. I did the latest firmware to the device and it appears to be fine. I've got it in a position that shouldn't move but I though it would be more stable connected all the way in. Weird???

Any thoughs or ideas would be helpful. I've logged a case with SiliconDust and the vendor I got the unit from. I'm using it with a 4 Gen AppleTV & Channels plus on Plex DVR with a Synology which appears to work when I get a good signal.

rjp

Re: HDHomeRun Connect & Antenna

Postby rjp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Maybe the connector on the antenna cable isn't quite right (center pin too long, perhaps), or is not crimped on properly?

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Sounds like your using a push on F connector rather than a screw on. Would test it with a screw on type. Unless the bulkhead on the tuner wiggles.

kartajan

Postby kartajan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 am

Hi, I've recently purchased a HDHomeRun Connect and got it working but I've had to connect the antenna for the HDHomeRun Connect only a little bit, basically almost off as this is the best way I can get the signal to work properly. If I push it all the way on, the signal drops or I don't get anything. Do you think the unit is faulty (I think so) as it should be easy to just connect up. I'm using good quality RG-6 cable and this has given me the best result. I did the latest firmware to the device and it appears to be fine. I've got it in a position that shouldn't move but I though it would be more stable connected all the way in. Weird???

Any thoughs or ideas would be helpful. I've logged a case with SiliconDust and the vendor I got the unit from. I'm using it with a 4 Gen AppleTV & Channels plus on Plex DVR with a Synology which appears to work when I get a good signal.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 am

Hi, I've recently purchased a HDHomeRun Connect and got it working but I've had to connect the antenna for the HDHomeRun Connect only a little bit, basically almost off as this is the best way I can get the signal to work properly.
Are you really close to the broadcast antennas? Like you can walk to the towers close?

jimbobba2773

Postby jimbobba2773 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm not close to the local antenna's but there is 2 in the area. I find if I have the plug almost off, it works properly but if I plug it in all the way it works for a little while but then starts playing up like it looses signal, pixelated, green screen and sound plays up. I think it may be something with the unit/connection for the antenna more than my antenna setup but don't 100% know. I've got a new antenna cable and it does the same thing and currently I have it connected, almost out and working fine - picks up everything.

Weird???

clarkss12

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 am

I'm not close to the local antenna's but there is 2 in the area. I find if I have the plug almost off, it works properly but if I plug it in all the way it works for a little while but then starts playing up like it looses signal, pixelated, green screen and sound plays up. I think it may be something with the unit/connection for the antenna more than my antenna setup but don't 100% know. I've got a new antenna cable and it does the same thing and currently I have it connected, almost out and working fine - picks up everything.

Weird???
Have you detached the antenna and just using the coaxial cable connected to your Connect?

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:43 am

It would be helpful if you gave more information such as where you are (roughly), what channels you're trying tio receive (real, not virtual channel numbers), what kind of antenna you're using (make and model) and whether there's an amp in the antenna or between it and the HDHR. Locate yourself on the TV Fool map, click on Make Radar Plot and post a link to your radar plot page. On the map page it's useful to check the box for "Show lines pointing to each transmitter" to see what direction(s) the transmitters are from your location.

The fact that you get the best reception when the coax is only partially connected suggests a couple of possibilities:

1) You may be trying to receive a VHF channel with a UHF-only antenna. With the coax nearly disconnected, the cable itself may be acting as an antenna.

2) The signal may be strong enough to overload the HDHR, and nearly disconnecting the cable weakens it enough to work. That's especially likely if there's an amp in the line. Try it without an amp if you can.

The HDHR software includes a very useful utility called hdhomerun_config_gui.exe in the HDHomeRun installation directory. If your installation didn't put a link to it on your desktop, I recommend adding one yourself. Run it and select a channel you're having trouble with (again, real, not virtual). Note the levels of Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality with the coax attached and partially detached.

If Signal Strength is 100% with the cable fully attached, that suggests that the signal may be too strong (hard to be sure because it won't go above 100% no matter how strong the signal is). Remove any amp if possible or install an attenuator. A 2-way splitter will reduce the signal about 3.5 dB, a 4-way about 7 dB.

If it's in the good range (green bar and less than 100%) but Signal Quality is low or varying greatly, you might have multipath interference. Reorienting the antenna could help.

If Signal Strength is low but rises into the good range with the cable nearly disconnected, the cable is probably acting as an antenna. In that case, I question whether your antenna is suitable for the channels you're trying to receive.

jimbobba2773

Postby jimbobba2773 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for the information but I got a replacement unit sent to me as the other unit was faulty. I'm running the hdhomerun_config_gui and my Signal Strength is 100%, Signal Quality is currently going between 65 - 80% and the Symbol quality is sitting at 100%. I have had issues with the Symbol quality dropping off completely with the replacement unit and my picture goes all pixelated again. This unit works with the antenna cable plugged in completely and it is running the latest firmware. I'm also using a different power supply (which I got when I had the problem with my first unit). I'm keeping an eye on it as I want to use this device but if it plays up all the time, I don't want that.

jimbobba2773

Postby jimbobba2773 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:18 am

Been testing the unit most of today and at the moment its working but has been losing Symbol Quality % - drops to 0% and then comes back after a few seconds or goes up and down. What does that mean? The other settings at the moment are:

Signal Strength % = around 94%
Signal Quality % = around 60%

Could this be my antenna not positioned correctly? Or something else?

majikdragon

Postby majikdragon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 am

Are the issues you are having similar to the issues I and other have listed in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=63167

There are screenshots/photos of what is happening with my box and this is the second one I've tried.

All issues point towards firmware...

jimbobba2773

Postby jimbobba2773 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes, I'm having the same issues as that thread - I've posted a comment too. I haven't had a chance to see with the old firmware so cannot be 100% sure but my old EyeTV NetStream just worked with out any of these issues and I haven't changed a thing (only the antenna cable atm).

SiliconDust - has this been reported and I've got a ticket for this problem but haven't heard anything.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”