Antenna placement qiestions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mknabster

Antenna placement qiestions

Postby mknabster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi all, i'm a new owner of the Hdhomerun Connect unit and i'm happy with its performance so far, but not too happy with my antenna unfortunately. I know this forum is tailored towards the tuner over the antenna, but i wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on my issue. Before i bought the Connect, i was using my existing antenna (RCA ANT525) hooked directly into my TV. Whenever i turned my computer pn, it scrambled the picture making in unusable, which is why i bought the Connect so i could move the antenna elsewhere and still have it be available through the network.

Ths interesting thing i'm finding is that when the antenna was downstairs into the TV, i got the local stations plus CBS, NBC, ABC but no FOX. But now that i moved it upstairs pointing out a window, i get more local stations, but only CBS and FOX, but no ABC or NBC. I'm not sure if it's because it's an older antenna (I was given it for free by the in-laws) and i'm not sure if it's uni- or omni-directional. I'm not attached to it so i'm open to suggestions on replacements, like the Mohu Leaf or something else, but i'm in an area where i should be getting all the major new stations without an issue.

So if anyone has suggestions about placement for my existing antenna, or if i should get a different one, i would appreciate it. Thanks

rpcameron

Re: Antenna placement qiestions

Postby rpcameron » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Placement might make a big difference. Check out antennaweb and tvfool to get more specific information about where the stations are being broadcast from to help you determine your antenna type and placement.

In general, the HDHR tuners are much more sensitive to signals than most TV tuners. Therefore, very weak and very strong signals are often outside of the range of what the HDHR can receive. While your TV may be more forgiving, unfortunately the HDHR is not. One would hope that $100+ for a tuner would net you reception quality comparable to a $50 TV, but alas not.

tony-s

Postby tony-s » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Have you checked tvfool.com for antenna orientation? If you are close to your sources, then unidirectional antennas can be problematic. I live about 60 miles north of Denver and use a ClearStream 2V antenna for min HDHR Extend.

Marb101

Postby Marb101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 am

Placement is the key. Try other directions and see what you get.

rhscjohn

Postby rhscjohn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Use the hdromerun_config_Gui program, located in the SilconDust/HDHome folder, to help you in aiming the antenna in the most favorable direction. If you have a weak station, try maximizing the atenna to get the best reception. Then check and see what happen to the station(s) that you had good reception. Keep adjusting the position of the antenna until you have a good comprise on reception across all stations.

There should be several sweet spots in a room for your antenna. How ever, the further your are away from the broadcast towers the fewer number of sweet spot you will have.

You my have to try additional antennas. Antennas are NOT all created(designed) equally. Personally, I use 2 MonoPrice antennas. Model: HDA-5700. There are in different rooms. For the majority of my stations, I am between 30-35 miles from the broadcast towers.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi all, i'm a new owner of the Hdhomerun Connect unit and i'm happy with its performance so far, but not too happy with my antenna unfortunately. I know this forum is tailored towards the tuner over the antenna, but i wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on my issue. Before i bought the Connect, i was using my existing antenna (RCA ANT525) hooked directly into my TV. Whenever i turned my computer pn, it scrambled the picture making in unusable, which is why i bought the Connect so i could move the antenna elsewhere and still have it be available through the network.

Ths interesting thing i'm finding is that when the antenna was downstairs into the TV, i got the local stations plus CBS, NBC, ABC but no FOX. But now that i moved it upstairs pointing out a window, i get more local stations, but only CBS and FOX, but no ABC or NBC. I'm not sure if it's because it's an older antenna (I was given it for free by the in-laws) and i'm not sure if it's uni- or omni-directional. I'm not attached to it so i'm open to suggestions on replacements, like the Mohu Leaf or something else, but i'm in an area where i should be getting all the major new stations without an issue.

So if anyone has suggestions about placement for my existing antenna, or if i should get a different one, i would appreciate it. Thanks
I actually bought that antenna and it pick up less channels than my One by One 50 mile flat. So yes I would try another one. I also bought a stand which helped a lot. Picking up channels can be a matter of 1/4 inches.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”