Latest Firmware causing issues with WMC

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
kbatzer

Latest Firmware causing issues with WMC

Postby kbatzer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 am

Since last updating the software/firmware in January, I've noticed issues with my 2 W7 PCs with WMC not working correctly. They are more sluggish and many times the DRM channels no longer work. I reboot and sometimes the DRM channels come on, but it takes a long time before they actually work. When selecting the DRM channel it sits for 10-30 seconds before the display comes on.

In many cases the non-DRM channels also have issues. I'm finding myself constantly rebooting my these W7 PCs.

My Silicondust home environment consists of the following devices:

2 Intel NUCs with W7 and WMC.
2 other W10 PCs with Kodi. One is a desktop, the other a Laptop.
Original Amazon fire TV with Kod
Nvidia Shield with Kodi.

I use 2 HDHomerun Hardware devices with cable cards:

Hardware Model HDHR3-CC
Firmware Version 20161117
DTCP-IP DTCP 1.7-SD20140607
WMDRM-NDT WMDRM 10-SD20130219
Memory Report 64 MB SDRAM, 2 MB Flash

Hardware Model HDHR3-CC
DTCP-IP DTCP 1.7-SD20140607
WMDRM-NDT WMDRM 10-SD20130219
Memory Report 64 MB SDRAM, 2 MB Flash

Is there something I can do to solve this issue with WMC?

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Latest Firmware causing issues with WMC

Postby Mediaman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Since last updating the software/firmware in January, I've noticed issues with my 2 W7 PCs with WMC not working correctly. They are more sluggish and many times the DRM channels no longer work. I reboot and sometimes the DRM channels come on, but it takes a long time before they actually work. When selecting the DRM channel it sits for 10-30 seconds before the display comes on.

In many cases the non-DRM channels also have issues. I'm finding myself constantly rebooting my these W7 PCs.

My Silicondust home environment consists of the following devices:

2 Intel NUCs with W7 and WMC.
2 other W10 PCs with Kodi. One is a desktop, the other a Laptop.
Original Amazon fire TV with Kod
Nvidia Shield with Kodi.

I use 2 HDHomerun Hardware devices with cable cards:
Hardware Model HDHR3-CC

Is there something I can do to solve this issue with WMC?
Since your using Kodi [which cannot play DRM channels] you must have Comcast or Verizon; I'll go with Comcast. Open the channel Lineup and look for AVC tagged channels. Try switching between AVC and the other HD channels [drm tagged and not] to see how long it takes to change vs like codec channels to see if that matters at all [WMC and Kodi for non drm ones].

Are their other issues than slow channel changes? The drm failure would suggest something timing out possibly. If it is across all devices at the same time then I am thinking more network related so hold off on # 3 & 4 till you give more info.

general items
1) make sure your gpu/VC firmware is up to date
2) there is a fix windows links button in the Advanced tab of HDHR Setup and you could try that
3) rerun the TV channels setup in WMC [WMC>settings>TV Signal> ]
4) Reset WMC [found here on page one viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12216 ]
5) create IP reservations on your router for all devices used for the system to see if it improves speed
6) check the greenbutton forum for similar issues with WMC

Five questions -
How are you using Kodi [is that with the HDHR add on]?
On the W10 machines do you have the HDHomeRun app from the MS store loaded?
What do you have for Video Cards/gpu's in the windows based computers [none NUC]?
When you compare WMC to Kodi playback do you see the same issue for a particular channel?
Please describe your network layout?

kbatzer

Postby kbatzer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am

Sorry I took so long to reply. I wanted to re-check my environment and rerun setup a few more times.
I do have Comcast as my cable provider.

Response to your General Items
1. For WMC, I use 2 NUCs with Windows 7 and WMC. They are both up to date with the latest Intel firmware and graphics software.
2. Not sure what you mean by "fix" is in this. In my HDHR setup Advanced tab I have
checked "Automatically select from available tuners". I re-ran HDHR setup on one of te W7 Intel NUCs and
set HDHR Config to "Digital Cable". In the Config HDHR setup I'm a bit confused between "CableTV" and "Digital Cable".
They both seem to work and provide access to all channels. Is there an HDHR preference?
3. I also reran the WMC setup many times. Issues still exists with DRM.
4. I then reset WMC setup without solving the issue I used the following WMC reset procedure:

---WMC Reset Procedure--
a. Close MediaCenter
b. Open cmd box by right clicking and "Run as administrator"
c. In the CMD box run the following command:
%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
d. Close command window, and reboot the computer.
e. After reboot, open MWMC and run the setup again.
------

Still the same issues with no DRM. (I do get audio but no video)

Here's my responses to your questions.

I do use Kodi with the HDHR Add-on on all my devices, including the 2 W7 NUCs.
Due to the current state od HDHR software, I cannot get any DRM channels in KODI
Otherwise everything else appears to work correctly.

On my W10 machines I have the HDHR App from the Windows store.
However, I prefer to use Kodi and the HDHR Addon.
The HDHR Add-on in Kodi seems to be more consistent and work better than any of the standalone HDHR Apps.
This is true for ALL my devices, including the Amazon Fire TV, W10 PCs W7 Pcs and the Nvidia shield TV.

I have a W10 desktop consisting of:
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard
16 GB RAM
PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition - Graphics Card
There is no HDHR issues with this machine, HDHR works best from KODI

I also have a W10 laptop:
HP-Envy-dv7-740us-17.3-inch
8 Gb RAM
All drivers are up to date.
No HDHR issues, but it works best within KODI.

I have a Synology DS415Play with the HDHR DVR. This is working. I prefer this over the WMC recording since
the recording are available everywhere on my LAN.

So my only issues are with DRM channels on my two Intel NUCs running W7-SP1 with WMC
I have been using these as my PRIMARY Media Center PCs in my Family Room and Bed room.
They have been working almost perfect for years until the latest HDHR firmware. earlier in January 2017.
I still prefer WMC since it has a great GRID for displaying the channel lineup.

Is there anything else I can do to solve the DRM issue.

stuartm

Postby stuartm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 pm

This doesn't sound like a firmware issue. If your NUC's using intel GPU's are not working with DRM (protected) content and you are on Comcast you are almost certainly hitting the known bug where Intel GPU's cannot properly play h.264 protected content. Comcast has nationwide gone to h.264 for all their HD content. The symptom you are seeing is consistent with this (audio w/ no video). The only work around is to use a non-Intel GPU to play the protected content. As your working systems seem to have.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Response to your General Items
2. Not sure what you mean by "fix" is in this. In my HDHR setup Advanced tab I have
checked "Automatically select from available tuners". I re-ran HDHR setup on one of te W7 Intel NUCs and
set HDHR Config to "Digital Cable". In the Config HDHR setup I'm a bit confused between "CableTV" and "Digital Cable".
They both seem to work and provide access to all channels. Is there an HDHR preference?
Sorry the button is called Repair it is next to send diagnostics to SD. Digital Cable refers to clearQAM distributed channels and CableCARD is for CC's and encrypted channels. With changes adapted by FCC a couple of years ago the use of clearQAM in the US is greatly diminished as a distribution method. You should be set to CC.
3. I also reran the WMC setup many times. Issues still exists with DRM.
4. I then reset WMC setup without solving the issue I used the following WMC reset procedure:

---WMC Reset Procedure--
a. Close MediaCenter
b. Open cmd box by right clicking and "Run as administrator"
c. In the CMD box run the following command:
%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
d. Close command window, and reboot the computer.
e. After reboot, open MWMC and run the setup again.

Still the same issues with no DRM. (I do get audio but no video).
Unfortunately Kodi will never do drm. Suggest you update to latest W10 client and test just released viewing only drm on appropriate pc's. Also would do at least a Playready reset or WMC reset, over your update routine, which have the potential to affect drm. You can start with a Playready reset rather than WMC reset to see if helps [rather than having to rebuild the recording rules needed for WMC reset]. You could also just try to reset DCA without doing either routine [make sure your running WMC as a window when doing DCA or when resetting by other methods].
I have a Synology DS415Play with the HDHR DVR. This is working. I prefer this over the WMC recording since
the recording are available everywhere on my LAN.

So my only issues are with DRM channels on my two Intel NUCs running W7-SP1 with WMC
I have been using these as my PRIMARY Media Center PCs in my Family Room and Bed room.
They have been working almost perfect for years until the latest HDHR firmware. earlier in January 2017.
I still prefer WMC since it has a great GRID for displaying the channel lineup.

Is there anything else I can do to solve the DRM issue.
WMC has an issue with AVC channels that are drm set going through intel gpu. The NUC's are very susceptible to not opening AVC drm protected content and just delivering audio. Nvidia is not affected typically in WMC. I have kept one W7 pc up to date and find WMC performance to be poor if not unusable via GT 610. Some found the January NVidia update helpful I did not. Have looked into recent Nvidia playback issues with it and found no consistent resolutions other than to go into Nvidia Control panel and making sure to uncheck - Use inverse telecine [something you should do for W10 GTX VC]. I still have some issue on it that I have not looked at yet [check for line faults needed].

You should be able to share all none drm set recordings between any WMC computer and your W10 machines should be able to access the computers Recorded TV file and play them via VLC or Kodi [probably WMP too] if you allow sharing for multimedia.

For the NUC's. Look at your Channel Lineup list from the web page diagnostics to see the AVC tagged ones vs other HD [mostly local & sports] channels and drm tagged channels and which have issues. [switching between types, same type?] Basically you should be able to see everything normally except drm on AVC delivered content.

FYI- Google just released an update to Live Channels and SD has posted a notice in the Third Party software section of the forum related to that. It is for nougat and will make a nexus or shield into a stand alone dvr recorder [no drm]. So I expect SD will turn towards the android drm more now as that was a collaboration with Goggle teams software update and hope that SD beta android drm will be out by next week?

kbatzer

Postby kbatzer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 am

After reading your reply, I tested DRM channels on my W10 HP Envoy Laptop with the HDHR app. It works perfectly well. That being said, I agree my problem is with the Intel graphics bug on the NUC, and is not a HDHR issue. At this point it looks like the Intel H.264 Graphics bug.

It's a shame. I really like the NUCs. They had been working with DRM and now that Comcast has finally shifted DRM to H.264 they no longer support DRM. It's not a Comcast issue either.

I'm now stuck. My two primary Mediacenter NUCs with WMC no longer support DRM. Fortunately, I rarely watch the DRM channels.

As I mentioned, I recently purchased the Nvidia Shield TV. It supports Kodi (no DRM), and the HDHR App which may support DRM in the near future. It probably won't be long before the DVR can record DRM channels.

Presently, I watch all recorded channels (that have been recorded via the HDHR DVR) via Kodi or VLC as a mounted shares. I guessing, When HDHR records DRM channels, the playback must be done via the HDHR App and cannot be played back by any other player.

Anyway, It's clear to me now whats going on here. Thanks for your assistance.

Kirk

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:33 am

FYI - Comcast has left local and most sports HD channels in mpeg2 rather than AVC and for now only the premium HD channels are set with DRM limiting.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”